BERLIN INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL (BERLINALE) 2019
• Juliette Binoche who is a French actress and an academy award winner. She will be the president of the jury this year.
INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM JURY
• Jeffrey Bowers who is a senior curator at Vimeo, his work mainly is managing staff pick premieres and selecting staff picks.
• Koyo Kouoh she hails from Senegal and is the founder and artistic director RAW material in Senegal.
• Vanja Kaludjercic she is from Croatia and works for MUBI as the director acquisitions
• Golden Bear awards for the best short film. This is the best award so far because the winning film is eligible for next year’s short film at the Oscars
• Silver Bear jury prize short film
• Audi short film award, the winner walks away with 20,000 euros from Audi
• The Berlin short film candidate for the European film awards. The winning film is the Berlin candidate for European Short Film
PRIZES GENERATION KPLUS
• Crystal Bear for the best short film
• Crystal Bear for the best film
• Special prize for the generational kplus international jury for the best short film with a gift of 2500 euros from by the children’s charity of Germany
• The Grand Prix of the generational kplus with a gift of 7500 euros by the children’s charity of Germany.
PRIZES IN GENERATION 14PLUS
• Crystal Bear for best film
• Crystal Bear for best short film
• Grand Prix of generation 14plus international jury with a gift of 7500 euros from the federal agency of civil education
• Special prize of the generation 14plus international jury for best short film with a gift of 2500 euros from the federal agency of civil education
GLASHUTTE ORIGINAL DOCUMENTARY WARD
Berlinale has been committed to documentary films for many years. And with the launch of a new award in 2017 all thanks to Glashutte original. The award is endowed with 50000 euros from the Glashutte original. The three-member jury will pick the winner from the current programs of competition, forum, Berlinale special, Generation and perspective Deutsches Kino. The prize money is split between the film’s director and producer. Apart from that, the winner walks away with the most coveted trophy from Glashutte original that is presented to the director of the film. The prize is awarded during the award ceremony In the Berlinale palest.
THE HONORARY GOLDEN BEAR
The honorary golden bear award is presented to important people in the world of film. This year the award goes to British stage and film actress Charlotte Rampling for her lifetime achievement and paying homage to some of her films. On the award ceremony, the festival will be showing II PORTIER DI NOTTE (the night porter, Italy 1974) directed by Liliana Cavani
SECTIONS AND SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS
This includes a couple of categories:
• Competition which involves screening of the films that are talked about this makes it the centerpiece of the festival
• Berlinale shorts has wide radically exclusive styles that sets trends for the art cinema of the future
• Panorama attracts a wide range of traditional audience, has the largest jury at the festival and has its own audience award
• Forum stands for social artistic discourse and the mirroring on the medium of film
• Generation this represents matters films for the young generation and everyone else
• Perspektive Deutsches Kino this focuses on the directing talents debuting their new films
• Retrospective, Berlinale classics and homage this revolves around film history and getting to see it afresh on the screens.
• Culinary cinema focuses mainly on food shows both the dark and brighter side of food
• Berlinale Goes kiez brings together the film crew and cast to the art house cinema
• Native dedicated to telling the stories of indigenous people.
THE FILM INDUSTRY IN BERLINALE
• The European Film Market is one of the top meeting places for international media and film industries. It is the business center at the Berlinale
• Berlin Talents which was previously known as Berlinale talent campus. It’s the networking forum and the annual summit of the Berlinale
• World Cinema Fund is committed to funding and developing the film industry in places where it is weak.
• Berlinale co-production market gives instant matchmaking and networking to financiers, producers and projects
THINGS TO DO IN BERLIN
Berlin is definitely one of the most breathtakingly beautiful city. And after time well spent at the Berlinale and away from the film business one can definitely stroll around and feed their eyes on the beauty that is Berlin. Below are a couple of places to visit while in Berlin.
Bathing lakes also known as the land of three thousand lakes. It’s an amazing view both during the winter and summer. It’s an amazing place to just unwind and enjoy. The lakes have a different and distinctive character, now I’m sure nobody would want to miss that right?
Reichstag is the building housing the German parliament. It is a historical wonder as it withstood a lot including bombs and fire Cruise Berlin by boat taking a boat ride along the rivers and lakes is definitely a must try. There are a couple of kayak rental services for those that like to take the cruise by themselves Markthalle IX this is for those that enjoy street food and street shopping they can indulge themselves during the markets and fairs that take Place around Berlin.